Hauck Botanic Garden
The Hauck Botanic Garden is part of the award-winning Cincinnati Park system located at the corner of William Howard Taft and Reading Roads in Avondale. The park, bequeathed to Cincinnati Parks by the late Cornelius Hauck, encompasses much of Mr. Hauck's estate known as Sooty Acres. While the Civic Garden Center resides on a portion of the park, most of the park is owned and maintained by the Cincinnati Park Board.
The Civic Garden Center has developed gardens throughout the park that are maintained by staff and volunteers. These garden areas include the Pat Kipp Memorial Shade Garden, the Morgens Bretz Memorial Garden, the Peg Macneale Memorial Daffodil Garden, the Dwarf Conifer Garden, the Hoffman Terrace, the Sun and Butterfly Garden, the Reading Road Beautification Garden, the Stout Medal Award winning daylily collection, and the Herb Garden.
1934 Mr. Hauck bought additional property and began modifying and planting the area to create his vision of a sanctuary from the bustle of the city. It became known as ‘Sooty Acres’ due to the many coal burning factories that surrounded the site.
1942 The idea for the CGC was born in response to the Victory Garden Program. Peg Macneale was the first director of this agency, formed to be a gardening resource to the community.
1951 A two acre site was donated to be the new home of the CGC. It was part of the ‘Sooty Acres’ property of Mr. Hauck.
1960 A Plant, Herb and Hosta Sale was held which evolved into the annual May event.
1971 The Green Thumbs program was begun to teach gardening to children.
1975 The Dwarf Conifer Garden was established, the first of its kind in the city.
1981 Under the guidance of Margie Rauh, Executive Director, the Community Gardens Program began, quickly becoming a model for other cities.
1983 The Herb Demonstration Garden was established.
1999 The Pat Kipp Memorial Shade Garden was planted.
2002 The Outdoor Classroom for Compost Education was built in collaboration with Hamilton County Environmental Services.